Web Comics 5 pts

I grew up reading webcomics more than printed ones, so I’ve followed a few artists and platforms throughout the years. Some of my favorite series to read were by Bleedman on Snafu comics. These included Powerpuff Girls D and Grim Tales from Down Below. It was interesting to see doujinshi style fan-stories by an American creator because I was already interested in manga and familiar with that scene; I found his work through Deviant Art. Line, a popular texting app for international friends, especially in Japan, introduced me to Webtoons, where I currently subscribe to probably over a hundred different series. These usually publish weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. Some have music like Siren’s Lament and some have simple animated gifs like Axed that add motion to small aspects of what might be compared to a panel. Because of the vertical scrolling format, there’s usually only one full panel of the screen at a time. Depending on the artist, webcomics might be fully colored, as most are from my experience, but some are only black at white line art. A couple of my favorite series are Hooky, Lore Olympus, and Yumi’s Cells because I love the art styles and stories. When Homestuck first became popular online, I read it for a while. It was a cultural phenomenon that combined a lot of things in ways most comic readers I knew hadn’t seen before because it had so much happening in such a complex narrative and involved a variety of mediums. Eventually, I fell out of reading it because I lost interest in the story, but it was very influential for a lot of people for a while.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kingdom Come 4 pts

The Comic Book History of Comics 3pts

Understanding Comics 3pts