Killing Joke 2 pts

The comic version of this story seemed a bit lack-luster compared to the animated movie, in my opinion. Although beautifully illustrated, something fell a bit flat for me in the storytelling. Joker’s escalation didn’t seem as realistic to me in this version and the violence seemed tamer; I’m not sure if that’s because of censorship issues or what, but I preferred the animation. When Joker talked about the fragility of man in a crazy world, I understood what he meant. I’ve also experienced how easily breakdowns can happen when stress piles up. I haven’t suffered like the Joker did or been tortured like Detective Gordon, but I’ve faced other hardships and relate to how life can sometimes go against you. I think a live-action film adaptation of this would be interesting to see, but it’s hard to say because I wouldn’t want to abuse the actors. I just think some motion and music could help bring the story to life more and make the hard-hitting mental punches feel more real. This story follows more about the villain, which is interesting to see because we get to witness his origin from his perspective and get into his head a lot. Batman, the hero of Gotham, was barely even featured as a minor character; he only showed up a couple of times as a foil. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kingdom Come 4 pts

The Comic Book History of Comics 3pts

Understanding Comics 3pts